June 2016 Golf Tip Newsletter

JohnHayesGolf.com Newsletter Golf Tip – June 2016


For your golf game:  When you are planning a short shot around the green whether it be called a PITCH shot, a shot where 50% or more of the total distance of the shot is covered by carry through the air and less of the total distance is covered by the ball rolling across the ground, or a CHIP shot, a shot where 50% or more of the total distance is covered with the ball rolling along the ground, the first thing you want to determine is your LANDING SPOT.  First you determine the landing spot and the LANDING SPOT WILL PICK THE CLUB FOR YOU.  I heard Manuel de la Torre say, “After I pick the landing spot I go back to my golf bag and say, ‘Which one of you guys (clubs) can produce this shot for me?”  (Manuel de la Torre, Hall of Fame golf teacher recently passed away at the age of 94.)  Once you have used the landing spot to pick the club for you then you can forget the landing spot.  Just visualize the ball rolling along and stopping at the hole.  You may find that when you picture the ball rolling all the way to the hole that you get the ball to stop close to the hole and the ball did not land on the original landing spot that you selected.  Your instincts made a slight adjustment to your original plan of the landing spot to accomplish your main goal which was to roll the ball to the hole.  If you become focused on just the landing spot then you may find that your shots come up short of the hole a lot.  And never forget that your instincts do a better job the more you practice these small shots.

When you select the landing spot try to find an area that is level, not on a big slope, and ideally it is comfortably on the green, not at the edge of the green near longer grass.  You look for level ground so the bounce is very predictable and you want the ball to land on the putting green so your landing spot should not be within a yard or two of the edge of the green where you might land in the rough thus dramatically reducing the distance of the roll of the ball.  How are other conditions of the landing spot?  Is it wet or dry?  Is it into-the-grain of the grass or down-grain?  Is it firm or soft ground?

But once you have determined your landing spot you let it pick the club for you and then you visualize the ball rolling to the hole. 

You can find the amount of carry vs. roll for your different clubs by practicing on a level green in calm conditions and see the different results.  Put a tee in the green at 25% of the total distance, 50% of the total distance and 75% of the total distance from your ball to the hole.


Upcoming clinics and events:  My next specialty clinic will be a SHORT GAME BOOT CAMP for 2 hours held on Saturday, June 11th from Noon to 2:00 p.m.  I will cover pitching/chipping, bunker play, putting, and fun games to practice effectively!  Men or Ladies welcome.  This is NOT for new beginners.  There is a limit of only 3 students so call or email to sign up.  Total cost is only $55.

I will conduct a GET GOLF READY LADIES BOOT CAMP on Thur., June 23rd through Sunday, June 26th.  There will be 4 hours of golf clinics (Thur. & Fri. from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. and on Sat. from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.) and then we will finish on the golf course on Sun. from 2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.  This is perfect for beginners who want to feel comfortable on the golf course in a short time.  Total cost is only $99 and includes everything! 

My next LADIES-ONLY GOLF CLINIC will be held on 2 consecutive Weekends – July 9, 10, 16 and 17 from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. on all 4 Weekend days.  Cost is only $40 total for all 4 hours!  It is good for beginners or newly dedicated golfers.

Please call, text (727) 692-4679 or email, jh@johnhayesgolf.com, to sign up as space is limited for all clinics.  Go to www.johnhayesgolf.com for more details.

As always, please contact me with any questions or comments and I hope to see you soon on the lesson tee at the Chi Chi Golf Range & Family Sports Complex in beautiful Clearwater in the Tampa, FL area.